Thursday, August 1, 2013

Quiteing the Mind

                         Quieting the Mind in a Noisy World

 "You have to be still for a moment to even notice that there is silence outside."  -Eckert Tolle-
                                                                                                                        
"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a spring day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time." -John Lubbock-
                                                                                                               
 This weeks meditation exercise on the subtle mind was completely different for me than last weeks meditation on loving-kindness.  Last week the lady walking us through the meditation talked most of the time and guided us in thoughts of developing loving-kindness.  While I enjoyed it and felt peaceful, my mind was continually working and thinking of the people I love. This week the meditation had very little talking and had us concentrating on our breathing while listening to the sound of waves.  It was much more conducive to relaxing and clearing my mind.  The waves took me back to my childhood in Southern California and walks along the beach.  I could almost smell the ocean and taste the salt air on my tongue.  It was very relaxing and I didn't find my mind wandering much at all.  Both exercises serve a different purpose and this is the one I would use to quiet my mind if I started to feel stressed. 

After the exercise not only was my mind more settled but my spirit was rejuvenated too as I had been communing with God. When I was done with the exercise I listened to this Christian meditation that speaks to being still and my spirit was lifted once again.  In case you are interested here is a link to it on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mlMWctF74   

For me spiritual wellness centers around God and how He works in my life.  When I spend time reading the bible and praying it focuses my mind and allows me to think about and dwell on those things that are really important.  It also allows me to show loving-kindness to myself and others and puts me on the right path for the day.  Also, I've noticed that as I have become healthier and stronger physically I have become much more in tune with my spirituality.  At the same time as I become more in tune with my spirituality my physical wellness improves as well.  The mind, body, spirit connection is truly amazing.

 

 
 


 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Cynthia,

    I also found this meditation to be a lot more helpful in calming my mind. My mind tends to race, especially at bedtime, and I tend to overanalyze everything. Being a Christian, I agree that my central well-being revolves around my faith. When I am at peace I have a much better time communicating with Him. I really enjoyed reading your post and I wish I had the chance to visit California, it sounds beautiful!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Cynthia your blog space is awesome! I love it, and I agree the subtle mind practice is very relaxing and reminds me of the beach too. I lived in California for a while so I can relate. Nice post, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia, thanks for sharing the youtube link! There is such peace knowing that God is in control. I came across this one of Psalm 91 set to music. Enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvhWTWpNWL0.

    ReplyDelete